Hattie Ide Chaffee Home first opened its doors to patients on December 6, 1948. It was originally located on South Broadway in East Providence. The facility was under the direction of Dr. Herman Pitts, one of America’s first specialists in cancer treatment. He established the home’s mission to be the only nonprofit nursing facility in Rhode Island dedicated to the care of cancer patients. The facility was made possible by a gift of land and residence from East Providence businessman Walter Chaffee and named in honor of his mother, Hattie Ide Chaffee. Additional gifts from other public support totaled $40,000.
Hattie Ide Chaffee opened its present facility in January 1960 with a building fund of $700,000. This fund was raised from memorial gifts and public subscriptions. Today, we strive to continue the outstanding tradition of care that has been provided by the home for over sixty years. Hattie Ide Chaffee takes pride in providing exceptionally high staffing ratios.